Sunday, October 24, 2010

Hey _ Get out of the Road


I have heard this before from others that are in no way involved with the bike community or understand why bikers really need to rule the road. Someone who when they think about going shopping -or- out to the restaurant or mall, they know nothing about biking or thinking about another mode beyond the dinosaur. Bikers rule. They all`ways do. No doubt about that. But not everyone understands this.

When a bike rider is on the road, I slow down. I watch. I give them space. Not everyone does this though. Most people are questioning whether there is enough space on the street for a bike and a car. I think it is logical. Cars now are mostly composed of plastic and other light metals and still: Car is big & Bike is small. Cars will usually win the crash.

We need signs on busy streets where a complimentary and designated bike lane parallel's this busy street with a little something like, " 1 block Left - safe bike lane." I still drive a car. I see bikers on many streets where one block away is a safe biking street with designated bike lanes.

Biking is a privilege that I think I respect. I understand that some busy spaces demand a bit more from me. I choose my streets wisely while biking with the understanding that I am often the equivalent of an ant running on an popular asphalt running path. Squashable!

No comments: