Monday, December 10, 2007

People bike in the Winter


More and more I read articles about people who bike through the entire winter. Living north of the 40 Parallel you have some consistent cold so sure. This is a big deal.

The Wall Street Journal ran article on killer winter biking gear (if you have the cash to pay for a $250 pair of Lake boots). Even Time magazine mentioned winter biking in an article on "going green."

Today I get a Global Warming Action email from the Sierra Club. They have an article with this weblink on biking. http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Recreation/wintercycling.htm
The guy who wrote the article is from Alaska.

I breezed throught the article, as I believe I have read it before. I think it stresses the fact that on cold days you may wimp out. Also that you are a super minority. Lastly that winter riding is safe (because of all the layers you have on) and that it is FUN!!!

Slow down and plan a trip to work on your bike. Spiked tires are nice but I took them off; the sliding is so minimal. You just have to be alert to the big ice chunks in the road.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw you biking it down 31st the other day. I was headed to the park to go sledding with my friend from Brazil. He had never seen snow before last week! It was a nice sight to behold.