Sunday, December 13, 2009

Snow is here to Stay


It is definitely the case in winter to plan bike trips based on streets that are semi-plowed. It makes for a much smoother ride.

Good things come from riding on the snow. Some routes that may have been faster without the 1-2 inch layer of packed snow and the brown crunchy slushy burnt snow. I find myself getting locked into a car ruts and staying there. I learned 2 important things this year from winter biking. I typically unclip one foot before some STOPS and clip my bike bag shut.

Early this year I slid into an intersection to make a quick stop. I had both feet clipped in, did the quick twist to unlock a foot, front wheel and foot slide off to one side and then up over my handle bars, bike bag opens-- YARD SALE. I slammed my hip and tweeked the wrist a bit. I just hated having to pick up all my sh&* off the road while some car waited patiently, thankful that they did not participate in my early death.

No comments: